The Thelvallian Saga: Eon of Gods

2 posters

Go down

The Thelvallian Saga: Eon of Gods Empty The Thelvallian Saga: Eon of Gods

Post by Picturesque Outlaw Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:04 pm

♪ ♪ ♪:

"Catch anything yet?"

A voice cracked through the sound of the ocean waves, catching the attention of Prince Shoji whose attention had been fixed upon the endless sea of blue. Fudo took a spot on the ship next to Shoji and popped off the stopper on his gourd bottle. He fixed a glance out to the ocean before taking a good swig. Frustrated at his unfruitful endeavor, Shoji pulled back his fishing line.

"I'm more likely to ascend the throne before I catch a single fish," he let out with a sigh.

Fudo gave a hearty laugh. "Let this be a lesson of patience, then. If you truly are to rule all of Iljuin someday, the last thing the people need is an emperor without the fortitude to wait. And what about Kaito? Has he fared any better?"

"I've never seen Kaito handle anything other than a dusty old book or a scroll, let alone a fishing rod," Shoji said. "If anything, I'll wager he's in the middle of his reading."

"I can hear you," Kaito shot back, his presence only being several feet away. "And yes, I find staring at this 'dusty old book' far more interesting than staring out at the sea waiting for something to bite. Are we finished here yet? I already miss the land."

"Ha ha, maybe Fudo should be the one to teach you about patience. I'm just glad to be outside of the castle. Look at Saya, she hasn't complained at all for as long as we've been out here."

"She disassembles and reassembles her rifle for fun. I doubt she hasn't found something on this ship to keep her busy."

"I've caught one," Saya's voice rang from the other side of the boat. Shoji and Kaito ran over to see what Saya had reeled in. "It's a yellowfin."

Fudo gave a nod of approval. "Very impressive. Though with how much the prince eats, I'd say catch another or two for the rest of us. I'll start preparing the ship for home."

"Fudo," Kaito said, pointing out towards the horizon. "I see some other ships back there. They don't look like fishing boats."

"And no banner either..." Fudo added. "I'll try to slip by but we must be on our guard."

Shoji felt a sense of unease as they neared the other vessels, keeping a hand on the hilt of his katana.

"Let's be prepared for anything."

Last edited by Picturesque Outlaw on Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Picturesque Outlaw
Picturesque Outlaw
Human After All

https://vftor.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

The Thelvallian Saga: Eon of Gods Empty Re: The Thelvallian Saga: Eon of Gods

Post by Zerifachias Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:10 pm

“Pirates!” The lookout barked from the crow's nest , stirring the sailors below into a frenzy of activity on the deck, of ropes and sailcloths and curses that had previously been under lock and key due to the presence of high nobility. Yeva had a mind to utter a few curses under her breath as well when the shouts came, but she allowed the sailors their profanities and instead got out of their way as quickly as she could, moving belowdeck where she'd be expected to go for safety.

They'd been caught off-guard when a small fleet of what looked like merchant ships from Ijvin had approached theirs, but after noticing the drag of Yeva's ship, the pirates had correctly assumed there was a bountiful treasure on board and revealed their colors. Her dowry, to be more specific. Her family did not have much to give, just a few herds of livestock, a few small chests of silver, and some other interesting artifacts that served more as collecter's items than anything useful. But it was still a treasure worth stealing.

So, pirates. Bloody Earth, this was going to be annoying. Yeva sighed as she started walking through the narrow hall of cabins towards the back, where the captain's cabin was. He'd granted it to her future husband, while she'd taken a smaller guest cabin next to his while the captain himself slept with his mates, but she imagined that was where she would find both him and her husband.

Almost-husband, she corrected herself mentally. She felt, rather than heard, the moment when her bodyguard sidled up beside her, but she ignored Lilianna for the moment and stepped into the large cabin. As she expected, both Count Telan and Captain Ishnar stood on opposite sides of the table, already arguing about what to do about the pirates.

“We can't run,” Captain Ishnar was saying as Yeva entered the cabin. “We have too much weight, and they are too close now. Our only option is to protect Your Excellency and your future bride and give away the treasure.”

“To pirates?” Count Telan fumed, glaring fiercely at the weathered sea captain, who had likely seen and dealt with pirates on more than one occasion, and knew what he was about. “If we let them board this ship, who is to say they won't slaughter us all?”

“Because pirates are cowardly folk, Excellency,” Ishnar said. “If we fight, we will certainly lose no matter how skilled you or your guards are, but they are not interested in fighting and possibly losing some of their own crew. All they wish for is an exchange of goods, so to speak. Our lives in exchange for a little silver.”

“That is my silver you're trading!”

“Actually, it is my silver right now,” Yeva said, announcing her presence to the two men. “Until I wed, at least. Forgive my intrusion, your Excellency, my lord, but the pirates are here and we need to make a decision.”

The two men glanced at her as she stopped before the edge of the table and folded her arms, waiting for one of them to address her. Then they turned back to each other and resumed arguing, completely ignoring her presence entirely.  That made her angry, and dark violet sparks danced across her suddenly itchy fingers in response to the surge of emotion, but she beat it down and calmed herself. If she had to suffer the indignity of being a trophy wife for the sake of her family, she would do it with the grace of a trained lady of the court.

Lilianna placed a hand on Yeva's shoulder—a sign of comfort, or an attempt, at the very least. “My Lady, do you want me to—?”
“No,” Yeva said, cutting her friend off. “But I appreciate your offer. I am perfectly capable of handling my own affairs. If these two are going to ignore me, I might as well listen to what they have to say. Maybe the captain can talk some sense into my future husband.”

Unfortunately, Yeva would soon learn the pirates were converging on the ship even as the Count and captain argued, and though they would have likely wanted to escape bloodshed and gotten away with their loot unscathed, the bodyguards the Count had hired for their seafaring journey had other ideas, and began trading bolts and arrows with the pirates on the other ship, which would lead them into a furious combat.

All while Count Telan just wanted to count his money in peace. And maybe make some small effort to get his future bride pregnant, though his advances had been...lackluster. At least he wasn't horrible to look at. Fairly handsome, all things considered. Rich. Well-connected. In all honesty, Yeva could have done much worse.

The first sign of things going poorly happened when Lilianna reappeared at the door—Yeva wasn't certain when she'd left—and shouted at the two bickering men to quiet them. “The pirates are boarding,” she said, her eyes alive with energy. “They've engaged the guard and some of the sailors, but we're losing. Hope you brought your red pants today,” she added, a little too nervously.
Zerifachias
Zerifachias
Slander for a Blade

Back to top Go down

Post by Picturesque Outlaw Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:25 am

A crewman on the pirating ship had spotted Yeva's company through his spyglass, and waved down his captain.  "Ewald! Captain Ewald! We've got a live one!" Ewald sauntered over to the crewman and snatched the spyglass out of his hand to see for himself. Nothing too luxurious as first impressions would lead to believe, but the smart ones always dressed their vessels down. No, the passengers aboard the other ship told a different story with their fancy clothes. Judging by the garb, the people came from the Isles of Providence. And provide they will, Ewald thought.

"Board them, an' meet with their captain for parley," Ewald nudged one of the pirates on deck. "Let 'em know that we have run of these waters. They'll pay the toll if they wish to have a safe passage. I'm feeling rather generous today, and I won't ask for much. Hmm... a meager twenty silver, and they can be on their way." They had sent their man and waited, but they did not wait long before they had their response.

"Captain," a deckhand called out. "It seems that they intend to fight."

"Oh? And what makes you say that?"

"Our messenger was shot upon stepping foot on their vessel."

"So that's their game, is it? They truly must have something worth taking. If they want to make us work for it, then so be it! To arms, men! Kill them all for everything they've got!"

For the next several minutes a battle had erupted, and the pirates engaged the ship of nobles. With their full attention occupied, Shoji's ship began to near without detection. Fudo manned the helm and observed the bloodshed that was unfolding. "It's as I feared," he said. "Prince Amakura, there are pirates in the process of raiding a ship from the Isles. I'll try to steer as fast as I can to avoid their skirmish."

"No," Shoji protested, an anger beginning to build. "I won't allow it." The seas belonged to no man, and he'd be damned to sit by and watch as the innocent were preyed upon. The young prince drew his blade from the scabbard, already determined to take action.

"Prince Amakura, surely you do not intend to intervene?" Fudo opposed. "This matter is of no concern to us, allow the Followers of Vestavia to retaliate of their own accord. We needn't get involved, lest we garner trouble for ourselves and possibly the people of Iljuin."

"I will not stand idly by and watch as lawless pirates do as they please," Shoji said. "There is a reason that I given this sword, and that is to carve a just path. I refuse to cower away while criminals run rampant. Fudo, prepare to engage."

"Prince Amakura, it is my duty as a retainer to keep you out of harm's way. You are the nation's future-"

"Fudo, it is my duty as prince to do what is best for the people. If that means ridding the seas of every last pirate who aims to take from others, then I will make it my life's mission to seek every last one out myself. What say you, Kaito? Saya?"

"If you're going to be carelessly throwing yourself into battle, then it doesn't look like I have much choice, do I?" Kaito sighed, readying a magical scroll. "If they kill you, they'll likely just move on to the rest of us anyway. I've known you too long to think that you'll be willing to change your mind when it comes to something like this. May as well fight."

"I do agree with Fudo," Saya added, taking up her rifle. "We shouldn't get involved with an affair beyond our nation's borders. However, like Fudo, I am also tasked with protecting you. You're putting us in a precarious spot, and I'd wish you reconsider. Though if you're going to fight, then I will begrudgingly engage as well."

"Since this decision is unanimous among you, then I will have to entertain this ill-advised plan," Fudo said. "If nothing else, to ensure your father's legacy does not go to waste."

"Thank you all," Shoji said, his eyes remained forward. "This may be a fool's errand, but to turn away and do nothing would be a greater shame."

[Click here to proceed to the battle thread]

Last edited by Picturesque Outlaw on Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Picturesque Outlaw
Picturesque Outlaw
Human After All

Back to top Go down

Post by Picturesque Outlaw Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:33 pm

"It's finally over," Kaito sighed, easing down his shoulders. The seas had gone quiet, with trails of blood seeping into the waters. The life of a pirate seldom ended in a warm embrace, and nothing salted the wound more than to die over a small toll. In the end, a watery grave would welcome all.

"Why are you out breath?" Saya spat, slugging Kaito on the arm. "I'm the one who got hit." Fudo gave the two a stern look, shaking his head. Before he could take another swig of his gourd, Saya snatched it from his hand and poured it over her wound. With a tear of her sleeve, she bandaged her injury. This was supposed to be a simple fishing trip - those words rang over and over in her head.

"I suppose we should sink this ship once we get off," Kaito suggested, looking at each corpse on deck. "Let the sea have them."

"That may be best," Shoji agreed. "Though I need to check for the survivors of the other ship." There were two in immediate view from the Providence ship. One in particular caught Shoji's eye - a woman wielding a magic whip. It wasn't every day that Shoji would meet an Attuned who wasn't Kaito, and the study of magic always proved to be a fascinating subject. Shoji approached her, and gave a bow.

"Are you unharmed? The pirates have been dispatched of and will trouble you no more," Shoji assured the woman. "I'm terribly sorry that we could not arrive sooner - it looks like you have suffered many casualties on your end. Ah, my apologies, I have forgotten my manners."

"My name is Shoji Amakura."

♪ ♪ ♪:
Picturesque Outlaw
Picturesque Outlaw
Human After All

Back to top Go down

Post by Zerifachias Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:44 pm

Yeva breathed deep and pressed her hand against the cut on her arm, wincing at the pain. Running headfirst into battle without proper armor on probably wasn’t the best idea, but what other choice had she? Before she could lift her hand and check the wound on her arm, Lilianna was there in a flash, the kit of medical supplies she always kept on her person in one hand and a needle in the other. She took Yeva’s arm from her and set to work sewing the cut.

“It’s not that bad,” Yeva said, but the younger woman said nothing and continued to work, leaving Yeva to just sigh and turn her attention to the approaching figure. Not another pirate, as she had originally thought, but instead a third party of strangers who had boarded the ship and fought against the pirates, for whatever foolish reason. She narrowed her eyes at the man who approached and eyed him up and down.

He was a hand taller than her and wore flowing and vibrant-colored garments under a set of painted armor, the style distinctly Iljuini. The garment could have been either a rich merchant’s or the son of a count palatine, but the insignia on the chest piece was the sigil of the royal house Amakura. That, combined with his bearing and posture left little doubt in Yeva’s mind on who the man really was, except for the one.

Why in the world was a Prince on a pirate ship, fighting pirates?

To her side, Lilianna finally finished sewing her wound and wrapped it with a clean bandage. Her eyes never shifted from the prince, eyeing him like she would a dangerous animal who’d gotten too close for her liking. At least she wasn’t reaching for her bow yet.

“Thank you, Prince Amakura,” Yeva said, dropping into a proper curtsy before the young man. “Your aid, though unexpected, is appreciated. I am Yeva, daughter to Baron Llarim Kasabian of Providence. This is Lilianna. She is my lady’s maid first and bodyguard second.” That last part had been more for Lilianna’s sake than for the prince’s, and the archer visibly hesitated, then blushed and dropped into a curtsy that was barely low enough to be considered proper.

“Highness,” Lilianna muttered, her eyes downcast.

Well, Yeva shouldn’t have expected two miracles on the same day. She turned to the prince. “I ask that you forgive my rudeness, Highness, but I must return to my ship and see who still lives, and help those who can still be helped. I managed to chase a few away, but some may have run past me in the chaos. If there are still pirates aboard the ship I should want them tossed into the sea with the rest of the dead.”

Yeva curtsied again to the prince, and gave Lilianna’s backside a sharp pinch, making the woman squeak and jump to obey, dropping into a curtsy that was slightly lower than her first. Close enough. Then Yeva turned and hurried across the boarding plank she had just run across earlier, back onto her own ship. There were some sailors here, tending to some of the wounded or tossing the dead over the leeward side of the ship. Many pirate corpses lay here as well, and Yeva noted with some satisfaction that some of the attacking men had been captured and tied up.

Lilianna led the way into the heart of the ship, bow at the ready, though they needn’t have been so careful. Captain Ishnar sat slumped on the ground, one hand clutching a side sword which he’d impaled through the chest of a pirate, who was propped up by the captain’s sword, his own ax buried in the captain’s skull. To the side, Count Telan, Yeva’s betrothed, lay face-up on the ground, an enormous hole in his belly, his rich clothes stained red with blood.

Yeva stared at the body of her promised husband, her mind blank. She had no attachment to the man, and he had been a fool to confront the pirates, but seeing him lying there in a puddle of his own making made her feel a tinge of regret. Her parents had sent Yeva to marry up the social ladder, using her magical talent and her supposed beauty as a selling point for House Kasabian. Rising from Baron to Count would have given her family a much needed boost to both their wealth and social standing, and her children would have eventually inherited both estates.

From potential riches right back down to the chamberpot again. What would her family think? How would her people survive the winter now, with the only way out lying dead on the floor of the ship’s cabin.

“Poor Captain Ishnar,” Lilianna said, sighing. “I liked him. Reminded me of my grandfather.”

“He was a good man,” Yeva said.

“Good riddance about the other one. He was an idiot.”

“Remind yourself that you are still my maid for me, Lilianna. Don’t disrespect the dead.” She hesitated. “Even if I happen to agree.”

“You’re not going to pinch me again, are you?”

“Not if you behave. Let’s go back up and help the sailors see to the wounded. There is still work to be done this day.”
Zerifachias
Zerifachias
Slander for a Blade

Back to top Go down

Post by Picturesque Outlaw Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:26 pm

As the noblewoman and her bodyguard left to check their casualties, Fudo came to attend Shoji. "Are we about finished here, Prince Amakura?" he asked. "I believe it's about time we return to Iljuin." Fudo's expression showed a stone face, however there wasn't a tinge of surprise nor anger in his tone. "You really are a lot like your father," he added. "I'm sure he'd be proud of his son, putting his life on the line for people in need. Your mother however...  well..."

"If my mother knew she'd never let me leave the castle again," Shoji cut in with a nervous laugh. "Perhaps it'd be better if we just kept the details of our excursion to ourselves." Just the thought was almost enough to make the prince regret his choice. Half the decision was made under the intent of doing what he believed was right, while the other half was being in the spur of the moment. Shoji had only begun to realize how fortunate they were to get out of the ordeal alive - after all, he would never know how to live with himself had he witnessed one of them die on behalf of his own impulse.

"I'm sorry, Saya. You would not have suffered that injury had I chosen not to intervene," Shoji apologized.

"Think nothing of it, Prince Amakura," Saya said. "It is my duty after all to protect you from danger, even if you're the one putting yourself in it."

"Ha... even still, this is my fault. I hope the three of you can come to forgive me."

Fudo placed a hand on Shoji's shoulder, in gesture of reassurance. "If you truly believe what you did was right and you stand by it without regret, then there is nothing to hold you at fault for."

"Thank you, Fudo."

"Just who were those two that you spoke with earlier?" Fudo asked.

"Yeva Kasabian from one of the noble houses of the Isles, and her attendant. They went to check for survivors on their end."

"Will they be able to make it back on their own?"

"I'm not sure. They lost a lot of their crew. If it's just those two, I'm sure we can bring them back to where they need to go."

"Volunteering us for more charity, are we?"

"Oh, I-"

"I kid, Prince Amakura. I'm not as rigid as your father makes me out to be. It'd be improper to only aid these people halfway."

"Thank you Fudo. I'll see if they need our help when they return to the deck."
Picturesque Outlaw
Picturesque Outlaw
Human After All

Back to top Go down

Post by Zerifachias Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:18 am

An hour after finding her would-be husband and the ship’s captain dead, Yeva had managed to assume authority—and responsibility—over the remaining crew. The dead were tossed over the leeward side of the ship and the captured pirates were lined up on their knees on the poop deck, awaiting judgment. Yeva would have to deal with them soon, bu she delayed, focusing her efforts on taking care of the injured and giving the men someone they could look up to, instead of despair.

Despite being the highest authority on the ship, the men had been resistant to her at the start, but none of them were willing to step up and take command with the first and second mate dead along with their captain, so they eventually deferred to her. With Yeva’s direction and Lilianna working to mend the less critically wounded men, the ship was quickly cleared of corpses.

Finally, unable to put it off any longer, Yeva found herself glaring at the line of pirates kneeling on the deck just a few feet away from her. They’d been stripped of their clothes and weapons, left with only their filthy smallclothes and ragged beards. They’d all regained consciousness and made a stir earlier, but the sailors gave them some encouragement to sit still.

I don’t have enough of a crew to get this ship going anywhere fast, Yeva thought, eyeing the pirates. There were only five of them, and while they might help get her ship moving, she couldn’t trust that these men wouldn’t mutiny on the first opportunity. But then, what was she supposed to do with them? This was a luxury barge, not a military vessel. There was no prison that could hold a determined shoulder, and her remaining men were in no shape to care for or oversee prisoners.

“We should toss them into the sea with the rest,” Lilianna said. Yeva glanced over her shoulder to see the young archer glaring at the men, her fingers twitching on the haft of her bow. “They can swim to safety—away from us—or drown.”

Several of the men paled at the suggestion, which Yeva did not miss. The sea here was not harsh, but they were far enough away from land to make any swimmer, no matter how strong or experienced, drown before they got within sight of any land. It was essential to killing them outright without doing the deed herself, and that gave Yeva a sour taste in her mouth. It was, nonetheless, an option.

“Thank you for you input, Lilianna,” Yeva said. “Go to Prince Amakura and his men and request an audience with him for me. They have waited patiently for us to settle things here, so they are likely interested in seeing us to safety.”

“Or they’re looking for a reward,” Lilainna muttered. “We didn’t ask for their help, so you don’t have to give them anything. We—” She cut off when Yeva glared at her, then blushed and lowered her head. “I’m sorry, Mistress Yeva.”

“We’ll discuss this later,” Yeva said coolly. “Go. Be respectful and remember your manners. I will deal with these men.”

Lilianna scampered off to do as told, leaving Yeva alone with the five pirates. She didn’t think to be worried about her own safety. Despite Lilianna’s protectiveness, Yeva was more than capable of protecting herself, as she had proven today. She approached the first man in the line and placed her hand on the top of his balding head.

She could not trust these men, and they had tried to kill her and her crew. For what? A few pieces of silver in the hold? For livestock they could feast on for a few nights, or sell for a tidy profit? How cheap were the lives of others to a hedonist? The punishment for piracy and murder was death by hanging, and she had once presided over judgment of wrongdoers. Yet she’d never been the executioner.

Until today.

“By the authority of House Kasabian,” Yeva said, her skin and eyes glowing a faint purplish color as magic surged through her being. “I charge you with the crime of piracy. I charge you with murder, and find you guilty. For these crimes you are sentenced to death. May the gods have mercy on your soul.”

With a flash of light, the magic wrapped around the man’s throat before he could utter protest and hoisted him up by the neck ten feet into the air, where he began to squirm and writhe at the faintly glowing magical noose. Yeva tied the magic into place almost as an afterthought, then stepped in front of the second man, who had gone pale with terror in his eyes. Yeva ignored his protests and spoke over his pleading, repeating what she had said the first time and making him join his comrade in the air with his own magical noose. Then she moved to the next one.

On the prince’s own ship, Lilianna gave a deep curtsy as she approached the older man. “Your Highness,” she said. “My Lady has taken notice of your great patience while she tends to our dead and wounded, and requests an audience with you at your earliest convenience, now that our men are out of harm’s way. Say the word, and I shall go and bring her to you.”

In the distance, the last of the captured pirates shot up into the air on the threads of a near-invisible rope tied around his neck, joining the four others. The first man no longer moved.
Zerifachias
Zerifachias
Slander for a Blade

Back to top Go down

Post by Picturesque Outlaw Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:37 pm

Fudo and Kaito would go below deck of the pirate ship, making sure there weren't any stragglers. It didn't matter much anyway, as the ship would be sent down into the ocean as soon as their business was done. There wasn't much interest in taking whatever coin the pirates stored aboard, but perhaps there would be a sea chart with marked routes. Kaito would break the silence between the two.

"Fudo, a question if I may?"

"By all means," Fudo said in turn. A rack of spiced rum had caught his eye, and without restraint he would pop a cork off and take a sniff of the contents.

"I can't help but notice that you always carry two swords on your person," Kaito proceeded. "And yet I've only ever seen you wield one at any given time. Is there a reason why you don't use both?"

Fudo turned back to Kaito to see whether or not he was being genuine. "An odd question, but I'd expect as such from someone who has never picked up a sword in his life," Fudo responded. "The sword I have at my hip is merely a spare, should my primary blade be misplaced or broken. Using double the swords in battle does not necessarily equate to having double the prowess. In fact, attempting to use two swords without an expert level of proficiency in combat will more often than not be an invitation to a humiliating defeat." Fudo paused for a moment to sample the rum. "Don't ever tell the emperor I said that, though."

Above deck, Saya would join Shoji's side after doing what she could to patch herself up. "Prince Amakura, are you still certain about this?" She spoke. "They didn't seem all too grateful for what we did for them. Just look at how the handmaid conducted herself. I find the both of them to be quite the strange pair."

Shoji couldn't help but laugh. "And to them, I'm sure the four of us would appear to be the strange ones. Cultural differences certainly give a variety of perspectives. I would remind you that the entire world was not brought up in Iljuin." Garb and decorum notwithstanding, there was something Shoji had picked up talking to Yeva. "I did however notice something about our new acquaintances, specifically Yeva. She's an Attuned, much like Kaito. I only caught a glimpse of her magic in the battle, but I am to believe that she also bears a Diadem. I felt its presence as we spoke."

"Should that be the case, then perhaps this was no mere chance encounter," Saya said. "Though I'm not one to take stock in such tales of old. I have my doubts that a person of her status would have the power to shape the world."

The archer named Lilianna returned to meet Shoji and asked for audience on Yeva's behalf.

"Of course, I would be honored to have a moment of her time," Shoji agreed. "We were just finishing things up here on our end."
Picturesque Outlaw
Picturesque Outlaw
Human After All

Back to top Go down

Post by Zerifachias Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:33 pm

Some semblance of normalcy returned to the ship’s crew as they returned to their posts and began to work preparing the ship to sail, but Yeva did not miss the looks on their faces. Tight-lipped masks, eyes that strained and did not blink, features of impassive defiance that bespoke a greater pain. These men had suffered a great loss, and it showed in their stiff postures. They’d lost friends, brothers, and men they had looked up to for guidance.

What could Yeva do for them? What boon could she give these brave men for sticking to their code and fighting alongside her, despite the terrible odds stacked against them. If Yeva, or if the party from Iljuin had not been there, the sailors would have all surely died. They had seen her protect them, they had seen her take leadership over them and responsibility over the prisoners they had captured. What, then, should she do?

Take them home, Yeva thought, and considered carefully. She noticed Lilianna returning, but she did not rush out to meet her right away. The younger woman was growing too lax in her attitude around Yeva, and though that was not necessarily an issue for private meetings, she would not tolerate her impertinence in public, nor reward it.

“Mistress,” Lilianna said with a bow. She must had noticed Yeva’s mood, and wasn’t particularly keen on raising her mistress’s ire. “The young prince has agreed to meet with you, and awaits you on the pirate ship. Will you be going to him straightaway, or would you like to change into something that isn’t bloodstained?”

Yeva glanced down at her dress, which did have a few spots of blood on it, and shivered in revulsion. Still, it was too late to delay the meeting any longer, especially after she had just requested it. Prince Amakura should not be made to wait for her comfort. “I will do to him as I am,” Yeva said. “Let him see me to be practical, rather than vain.”

“Are you sure, Mistress? It won’t take long to—”

“I will be fine, Lilianna,” Yeva said firmly. “I will go and meet with Prince Amakura now.”

“Of course, Mistress Yeva.” Lilianna stepped up behind Yeva as the young noblewoman walked by, her hands folded before her, her head held high and proud and her posture straight. Her mother would be proud of her bearing, even while her father laughed quietly behind his hand. The thought of him brought a smile to her face. It was not long ago that she was the unruly child, more concerned with shattering her father’s pottery for fun while her mother shrieked at her to behave.

Now she had responsibilities. A marriage proposal had come from the Viscount ruling over her father’s Barony, after word of his uniquely talented Attuned daughter came out. A promise to raise her father’s station in exchange for the union between her and the Count’s daughter. Their lands would have been tripled in size, and though Yeva’s family name would not be passed on, as she was an only child, her children would have inherited both her family’s estates and the County.

It should have been a simple exchange. It would have made her parents proud to see her rise above them in rank, regardless of what her purpose would have been. It was the best a nobleman’s daughter could wish for—securing a place of high rank for her future children. And yet...she felt relieved. Relieved that she would not have to marry that Viscount’s son, relieved that she would not yet be forced into a string of pregnancies she did not want, and perhaps relieved that she could instead enjoy a touch of freedom—and adventure—instead.

“Prince Amakura,” Yeva said, snapping back to reality all at once as she stopped before the man. She dropped into a low curtsy before him, her smile from earlier still plastered to her face. “I apologize for my abrupt departure earlier. I hope you did not take offense. The chaos has settled somewhat, the pirates who were taken captive have been dealt with, and I now hope to give you a better impression of myself.”

Lilianna turned her head slightly so she could look at the still-floating corpses of the pirate captives. “Dealt with,” she muttered under her breath, hiding a smirk. Her spine shivered a moment later and she brought her attention fully back to Yeva and the prince. Yeva’s expression had not changed, but the air around her had turned cold at Lilianna’s muttering, and she did not want to get pinched again. Those nails hurt.

“I believe that my ship may have enough men remaining to return to port,” Yeva said, her chilling aura lessening as she spoke and Lilianna behaved. “But it will be slow going, and I fear there may be pirates on these waters still.” She glanced around at the pirate’s ship. “This vessel, however, is much smaller. If you wish to claim it or sink it, I ask instead that you allow my crew to commandeer it so they may return safely.

“There is however, items of value aboard my ship. My dowry, which is no longer needed as my betrothed is now dead. It is but a tithe in the face of my debt to you, but it is a debt honor demands I repay however I can. So I would like this dowry of mine to return to my parents for when they inevitably marry me to another man, and I ask that you allow me to serve you instead, for as long as my debt stands.”

“Mistress, what are you—” Lilianna blurted, only to be silenced by Yeva’s outstretched hand. Undeterred in the face of this new development, Lilianna quickly recovered and barreled headlong into Yeva’s wrath. “You can’t just decide that,” she said, incredulous. “Lord and Lady Kasabian will be expecting you to return to help them explain what went wrong, and smooth things over with the Count!”

“That’s enough, Lilianna,” Yeva snapped. She glared the archer down until she was sufficiently cowed—there would be a greater punishment later—then turned her gaze back to the prince. She did not know why she had decided on this course of action, but it felt right to her. “I am Attuned,” she said. “Uniquely talented, if you believe the rumors my father spreads, and I could be of great use to you, Your Highness.”
Zerifachias
Zerifachias
Slander for a Blade

Back to top Go down

Post by Picturesque Outlaw Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:32 am

♪ ♪ ♪:

Saya gave a few blinks of disbelief while keeping her stoic face. She could voice her opinion, though at this point she was certain the prince would overrule her protests with his own. Sometimes he was too trusting for his own good. Sure enough, Prince Shoji would play right into her prediction.

"Worry not, Lady Kasabian," Shoji assured her. "I require no form of payment for this favor. You may keep your dowry, and if you so wish, you may also take the pirates' vessel for your crew's safe return. It certainly saves us the trouble of having to sink it, though Kaito will be disappointed that he won't be able to show off more of the magic he is so proud of."

Saya struck a palm to her face, and the other two would return above deck — Kaito with new knowledge, particularly to never ask Fudo about swords again. "Are we ready to set off, Prince Amakura?" Fudo spoke up.

"I'm ready to sink this ship," Kaito added.

"Change of plans, Kaito," Shoji said. "Lady Kasabian's crew shall be taking the ship for their voyage back to their homeland."

"I— You certainly are keeping us on our toes today, aren't you?"

Yeva had made an unusual proposition, but one that piqued the prince's interest. It wasn't every day that Shoji would meet a foreign noble, let alone have one indebted to him. Then again, it wasn't often that he left the castle to begin with. It was undeniable that the events that transpired were more than mere coincidence.

"As generous as your offer may be, I must respectfully refuse in having you serve me," Shoji declined. "I do, however, have an offer of my own. I couldn't help but notice — and I'm sure you have noticed this about me as well, but you and I possess a Diadem."

Shoji crossed his arms over his chest and closed his eyes, and within a second, an ethereal image appeared behind him. The image depicted an ornate Iljuin castle resting in front of a moonlit horizon, and Yeva would be the only one able to see it. The prince would then open his eyes and continue on.

"I would very much like for you to come to Iljuin with us as an honored guest. In the meantime, you could tell me about the Isles of Providence and your own Diadem. Whether you choose to believe it or not, my intuition would have me think that we were fated to meet today, and that I could learn a lot from you."
Picturesque Outlaw
Picturesque Outlaw
Human After All

Back to top Go down

Post by Zerifachias Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:21 pm

Yeva hid her surprise well, though she was startled at the sudden and very generous counter-offer Prince Amakura had just given her. She glanced to the side at Lilianna, who gave only a slight, nearly imperceptible shrug of her shoulders. Her feelings on the matter were already quite clear to Yeva, and she knew there was nothing more she could do to change Yeva’s mind on this.

There was also the issue of the Diadem the prince had shown to her. She had indeed been able to sense it from him, though this was the first experience she had of such a powerful artifact in the hands of another like her and could not know the meaning or origin until now. There were legends of such artifacts, but Yeva felt that the prince would be the one teaching her more about the item, and not the other way around.

After seeing his, the only proper response would be to reciprocate, so she too closed her eyes and summoned forth the specter of the artifact. It depicted a raven’s head surrounded by a violet sunburst. Even with her eyes closed, she could see the image clearly in her mind, fixed there by the artifact’s own power.

“I accept,” Yeva said, opening her eyes and letting a smile appear on her face. “But understand, Prince Amakura, I will not let this debt go unpaid for long. If indeed the fates intended for you to intercede on my behalf, then I would be a fool not to heed that call. Lilianna,” she added, turning to the archer-servant. “Return to the ship and begin the arrangements for our men to commandeer this vessel. Tell them to bring everything that isn’t bolted down here.”

“What of the ship, mistress?” Lilianna asked.

Yeva paused, then turned back to the prince and his advisors. “I fear the ship is too large to tow safely back to port. And I should not want to see it in the hands of pirates, who will no doubt want to steal and sell it elsewhere, or turn it into one of their dreadful war machines.” She smiled, turning her gaze to the younger man, Kaito. She had sensed his magical strength earlier, and knew him to be powerful. “I am sorry for taking the pleasure of destroying this ship from you, but how would you like to assist me in destroying the other, after everything is moved over?”
Zerifachias
Zerifachias
Slander for a Blade

Back to top Go down

Post by Picturesque Outlaw Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:36 am

Kaito turned over to Shoji, who nodded in approval. Despite his initial protests with fighting the pirates, he had no qualms about using his magic to sink an entire vessel. For one, blasting a whole ship would give sight to a bigger spectacle than having to fry a group of lawless swashbucklers. Inanimate objects by nature also don't tend to attack back — at least, not the ones without sentience. The lofty, idealistic prince kept referring to fate, but Kaito found it more apt to call it misfortune.

"Well met, Lady Kasabian," Kaito formally introduced. "I am Kaito. It would be my pleasure to reduce your boat to debris." He gave the Yeva and her attendant a once-over, observing their garb. Typical style for those of the Isles, albeit more fanciful than he would have thought.

"When you are ready, we will be waiting on our ship back to Iljuin," Shoji cut in. "We should be able to make it back by nightfall. I can prepare the fish that Saya caught in the meantime."

"That one fish isn't enough for all of us," Kaito added. "It's a good thing I suggested to Fudo to bring along plenty of food before we set off."

"What, don't you believe in my fishing skills?"

"I believe in it like I believe in life on the barren tundra of Snjormire."

The two shared a laugh before Shoji, Fudo, and Saya headed back. Kaito turned back to Yeva, standing by for her to tend to her final obligations. "Forgive my saying so, but it's very seldom to see residents of the Isles outside of their lands. You don't look like traders, so it's a little odd to see you out here at sea. Might I ask what has brought you out here today?"
Picturesque Outlaw
Picturesque Outlaw
Human After All

Back to top Go down

Post by Zerifachias Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:01 pm

This one thinks highly of himself, Yeva thought, masking her inspection of the man with a disarming smile. Well, this will be a good opportunity to gauge his magical strength. She glanced to the side where Lilianna had been but a moment ago, after having run off to carry out her orders. The men on the other ship took the orders seemingly without complaint. For now. How long would this truce last between them, however?

“Call me Yeva, please,” Yeva said to Kaito, turning to fully address him. “I’m but a minor noble from a small barony. And it seems I’m about to join your retinue, so there’s no need for formality between us. As for why I’m out here…”

She glanced back to the ship, considering the question while she monitored the progress on the ship. It wouldn’t take more than an hour or two to transfer everything that could be transferred. And if some of the wealth ended up on the bottom of the sea, well, she wasn’t going to cry any tears over the loss. Still, it seemed wrong not to do all she could. A pocket dimension spell, maybe? No, too complicated, and not worth the power.

“I was going to be married,” she eventually said. “My would-be husband decided to take my dowry along with some of his own wealth out onto a leisurely coast around the Isles, to be finished with a marriage on the beach in front of his manor at sunset.” Yeva turned her head towards Kaito and grinned. “Quite romantic, wouldn’t you say?”

She shrugged. “Alas, twas not to be. He died, doing foolish things men in his position so often do. Refusing to listen to someone with good sense. He was no warrior, and though he bragged often of his magical talent, it only took a glance for me to realize what a lie that was. Our local apothecary had more raw talent in her littlest toe. You on the other hand,” she looked Kaito up and down, as if measuring his height. “No shortage of talent here, I see. Tell me, are men like you common among the prince’s retinue?”
Zerifachias
Zerifachias
Slander for a Blade

Back to top Go down

Post by Picturesque Outlaw Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:23 am

"Yeva it is, then," Kaito obliged. "And my condolences for your... loss." He struggled to find the words in regards to Yeva's situation. In fact, it appeared that their only common ground worth speaking of was their magical abilities. "If by men like me, you mean Attuned," he went on. "Then you will be disappointed to know that there are very few even among Iljuin's population. My parents possessed no magical ability, but my grandmother did - and so I learned all I knew from her. Representatives from Candren seldom come to Iljuin or the Isles to scout for Attuned to join one of their prestigious academies, so I had to learn how to harness my power through trial and error."

He stared down at the pirate corpses in the sea, before looking ahead at the horizon. "In Iljuin, it is customary for everyone to learn a skill or trade that will be useful to others. For someone like me who can manipulate the weather to a limited extent, I've been asked by many fishermen and traders to accompany them on their travels to ensure safe voyage. There is little to fear from pirates when their ships can be capsized from a distance. Regrettably, I have refused each request and have been chastised by many as a wastrel. My being here now would mark the first time I journeyed out to sea to fend off criminals, albeit on unofficially." His attention finally turned back to Yeva. "My apologies. I have been told that I can talk for more than some are willing to bargain for."
Picturesque Outlaw
Picturesque Outlaw
Human After All

Back to top Go down

Post by Zerifachias Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:33 am

Yeva listened intently as Kaito spoke, absorbing the information and filing it neatly away in her mind. It was a surprise to her that he shared as much as he did with her, but perhaps moreso, his professed inexperience shocked her. Surely, if this man were a part of a prince’s retinue, he’d be awarded with the time and tutelage required for mastering magic. She wanted to probe him further, but held herself back. Now wasn’t the time.

“No need to apologize,” Yeva said. “You are not as bad as some. Count Telan, the man I was meant to marry, rarely allowed others to dominate a conversation, interjecting his own person even where he was not expressly invited. During events where a Viscount is the highest rank present, there’s little there that could shut the man up. I don’t regret his death, only that his stupidity cost so many more.”

She paused, parsing through her thoughts. She wanted to make her emotions on the matter clear to Kaito, without seeming emotionally distant from the loss of lives. While death wasn’t something she ordinarily dealt with, and the sight of blood often upset her stomach, she’d been raised in a way to handle a conflict. She had no illusions of the terrible cost of war.

“I was to marry him,” she said. “To uplift my family. The only thing I lost was a chance for my family to avoid falling into debt. One short famine on our lands is all it would take, I’m afraid. I was their best bargaining chip to claw out of the hole, and I fear it may have been the last.”

She glanced to the Count’s ship again, her expression contorted in a mixture of emotion. She spotted Lilianna encouraging a group of sailors who seemed to be lagging, with haunted looks in their eyes, the toll of the day weighing heavily on them. Yeva shook her head, disgusted, but forced herself to turn back to Kaito. “You and I are not so different,” she said. “Though my parents are both Attuned as I am, I was…an anomaly.

“When I unlocked my power, my parents were shocked. Most of us can tell the strength of an Attuned at a glance, and I was something they’d not seen before. I mean, how do you discipline a young girl who can throw an entire library with just the strength of her will? Psionic abilities like mine are rare if you include the entire world, never mind the Isles alone. But the weapons master at my home knew one method to help me. Martial discipline training. It was…surprisingly effective.”

She gave Kaito a smile, then turned as her maidservant approached. Lilianna eyed Kaito as she prowled towards them, and it seemed that Yeva’s stoic expression was the only thing keeping the girl leashed. She bowed crisply to Yeva, and waited to be addressed before speaking. Apparently she was in ‘soldier’ mode, rather than ‘maid.’

“Yes, Lilianna?” Yeva asked.

“Everything that can be saved has been transferred, Mistress,” Lilianna said. “I’ve triple-checked the wounded as well. A few need a surgeon, but they won’t die as long as we head straight back.”

Yeva nodded. “Good work. No one has remained behind on the ship?”

“I was the last one off.”

“In that case, it’s time. Kaito, are you prepared? I’m looking forward to seeing your strength first-hand. You may let loose anytime, and I shall erect a barrier to keep us safe.” Yeva grasped the crystal hilt nestled into her sash and held it at her side, violet energy sparking through her fingers as she exerted her will upon it. Then she waited, gathering her strength for the moment Kaito was ready.
Zerifachias
Zerifachias
Slander for a Blade

Back to top Go down

Post by Picturesque Outlaw Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:01 pm

"Let us be on our way, then," Kaito responded, rejoining with Shoji and the rest of the Iljuin group. When Yeva and Lilianna arrived on board, Kaito unraveled a scroll at his feet. The characters written on the scroll begin to glow as did Kaito's eyes, and dark clouds gathered in the sky above the ship when he outstretched his arms. Sparks of electricity coursed through Kaito's body and shot into the clouds, causing an immense singular bolt to strike the ship. With little effort, the former vessel split and began to sink into the ocean.

"And I thought I'd have to wait until the festival to see fireworks," Fudo laughed, the pilfered rum still at his side. After the display from Kaito, he rose to man the helm and finally make way back to Iljuin. He set a course and turned the ship around, humming old folk songs to himself to occupy the time. Kaito would take the spot back in the corner of the vessel to pick up where he had left off in his book, while Saya shot a quick glance at the two new passengers joining them - particularly Lilianna.

Her clothes seemed to be of Iljuin design as well, though from the looks of her she had been on the Isles for the majority of her life. Saya's curiosity would promptly be known. "You there," her voice blurted. "It's quite unusual to see someone of Iljuin origin coming from the Isles. If I were to guess, your family must have fled off the homeland during the war." Her eyes turned towards the bow that Lilianna was carrying and then down to her rifle. "You know..." Saya went on. "Iljuin has developed production of firearms starting two years ago. If you'd ever like one, I can send word to some of our merchants."

"Saya," Shoji shook his head. "My apologies to you, Lilianna. Saya can be very blunt at times, I assure you she carries no intent to instigate. Would either of you like anything to eat? We've brought several cuts of beef and pork - oh, and we have... a single fish."
Picturesque Outlaw
Picturesque Outlaw
Human After All

Back to top Go down

Post by Zerifachias Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:42 pm

Yeva raised the barrier high as the bolt of lightning shot down onto the vessel, sundering it completely. Shrapnel and debris flew from the point of impact as the wreckage twisted and sank, projectiles flying towards them at a speed that might have caused serious injury. Those same projectiles turned to dust as they struck the barrier, however, rendering them as naught but harmless sawdust. Once the danger passed, Yeva leaned against the wale, peering into the waters as her ex fiancee’s ship sank.

When the destruction was complete, Yeva gave Kaito a grateful nod and turned to join her maidservant, then gave orders to the men aboard to steer the vessel to her family’s estates, and to stay close to the shore. She found ink and parchment in the pirate captain’s quarters, and penned a quick note to her parents, explaining what had happened, where she was, and that she was unharmed. After a brief hesitation, she wrote down her idea, dried the ink, then sealed it using a bit of wax and her signet ring. She handed the note to one of the men, then went to board the prince’s ship.

She paused as Saya spoke to Lilianna, and noticed the slightest twitch of the maid’s hand, as if she wanted to reach for the bow on her back. But, to her credit, Lilianna looked to Yeva for support. Or perhaps she wanted permission. Yeva gave her a steady look, and inclined her head.

“My parents left Iljiun because they were starving and had a child to feed,” Lilianna said to Saya. “So yes. They ran from your war. The Isles are peaceful, if primitive compared to your lands, and a peasant like me is blessed to be able to serve a noble mistress like Lady Yeva, and be able to provide for the family that risked everything for their child.”

Yeva put her hand on Lilianna’s shoulder then, though she appeared to have finished speaking anyway. “Your offer is appreciated, but unnecessary. There are things a bow can do that a rifle cannot, and I prefer a bodyguard who can be as silent as the night itself.” She turned to Shoji. “As for food, I’m afraid I’ve no appetite. If you have spare quarters I could rest in, that would be wonderful. I’d at least like to get the blood off.”
Zerifachias
Zerifachias
Slander for a Blade

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down